St. Helens International Festival of Trails (AKA … SHIFT) – 8/19
August 19 @ 9:00 am – August 21 @ 3:00 pm
SHIFT is BACK! Weekend campout around a work party on Saturday, August 20th. The deadline to register is Wednesday, August 17.
About this event
Workparty Date: Saturday, August 20th, 2022 / 9 am-3 pm
Campout Dates: Friday, August 19th – Sunday, August 21st.
Meet at Marble Mountain Sno Park (NF-83, Cougar WA 98616)
Camping: Upper Marble Mountain parking lot.
- This is dispersed camping and no camp spots are available.
- No water is available.
- There are Vault toilets (bring toilet paper)
- Camping will start Thursday evening, but official NWTA camping is Friday through Sunday
- I-5 North to Woodland, WA and take Hwy 503 east towards Mt St Helens
- Hwy 503 will turn into NF90 after Yale lake
- Approximately 6-7 miles past Yale lake turn left on NF83 towards Ape Canyon
- Marble mountain parking lot is about 8-10 miles from NF90 on the left
- The menu is pulled pork sandwich, potato salad, coleslaw, and blackberry cobbler.
- Please bring your own utensils and plates. We might have a dishwashing station after dinner but plan accordingly if we don’t.
Friday & Sunday Rides: 9-9:30 depending upon the heat
- There will be various rides from easy (<15 miles) to difficult (>25 miles) available. Specific ride details will be determined at ride time.
- Please plan to arrive 30 minutes early.
Garbage/Recycling: We are practicing “pack it in pack it out”. There will be no garbage or recycling cans available. Everyone will be responsible for their own garbage and recycling.
After a 2-year hiatus, our weekend party around a work party is back! This year we plan to work on the beloved Ape Canyon Trail and Sheep Canyon area. If you have questions about the work involved please email Jim Lemonds at [email protected]
We will be working in areas you will have to access via riding your bike. When registering please be honest with your riding skill and stamina in order for us to get you into the right workgroup.
What to bring for the work party:
- Work clothes: Light long sleeve shirt, Long Pants (no shorts), Boots, Gloves, Eye Protection & Gloves
- Jacket (be prepared)
- Hard hat or bike helmet (mandatory)
- Face Covering as recommended by the CDC (in case we can’t maintain social proper social distancing)
NWTA will have tools will available, but please bring your favorite tread tool if you have one (rakes, McLeod, rouge hoe, loppers)
After the work party on Saturday, NWTA will provide dinner for all volunteers. Adult Beverages are generously provided by Hopworks.
Please be prepared and bring enough food and water for yourself and your group for the remainder of the weekend.
Waiver – Once registered, please sign the waiver HERE.
Our basecamp for the weekend will be at Marble Mountain Sno Park. This is a paved parking lot with areas close by ideal for dispersed camping. There is also ample space for RVs & Campers however there is no electricity or water on site. Be prepared & bring everything that you need.
Bathroom – 2 vault toilets (bring toilet paper!).
PET (DOG) OWNERS: If you bring your pet, know that you cannot leave them unattended at the base camp. Due to the steep hillside & narrow terrain of the trail, we DO NOT recommend that they join you while working on the trail.
(Photo credit: Ed Knight)
- August 22 @ 8:30 am – 12:00 pm
- August 22 @ 9:00 am – 12:00 pm
- August 26 @ 5:00 pm – August 28 @ 4:00 pm