The NWTA Rocky Point Recreation Area is a leased property owned by the Weyerhaeuser Company (a private timber company). The area is approximately 3,000 acres, has multiple points of access, and currently has a mixture of gravel roads and trails optimized for off-road cycling, but also open to walking. NWTA members in good standing have access to the area, and NWTA is actively engaged with Weyerhaeuser to develop the existing trail network into a more comprehensive system of interconnected trails. Over the coming years, we plan to expand the inventory of XC and DH trails in the area.
If you are an NWTA member, this is your local area to access nature on a bike. Go enjoy it. You can ride it twelve months of the year.
Status (9/30/2022) Partial closures
South Side Rocky Point
- CLOSED: Upper shuttle gate, Coastal, Skeet Chute (upper), Simba, Rusty Fiat, Upper Julie’s, Tres Amigos above Seral.
- Tres Amigos only open to Seral intersection
- Skeet Chute closed above Tres Amigos
- Tres Amigos up to Seral and Pipeline OK
- Everblades OPEN (partially)
- Machete blue flow trail OPEN
- Butter Knife climb trail OPEN
- Crosscut black DH trail CLOSED (opening expected late 2022 or early 2023)
The area above the parking is now open to access, but the upper area has been affected by road building activity. Most significantly, Tres Amigos no longer goes to the top of Skeet Chute. Only the lower half of Tres and Skeet are still rideable. Coastal and Fiat are mostly rideable, but entrances are rough and they can only be accessed from the upper gate (or via Tres/Seral and the gate road).
North Side Rocky Point
Andyland, RP United, Fanny’s Yer Aunt, Windup, and Ill-Tempered Gnome (north) are open. NOTE: 2022 logging activity has affected 90% of the North side.
Access to the leased property is available to NWTA members provided the following criteria are met:
- NWTA membership is current, and member is in good standing nw-trail.org/join/
- Member has read the terms and conditions found at nw-trail.org/rocky-terms
- Member has signed the online release of liability waiver found at nw-trail.org/rockywaiver
- Member has checked the up to date terms and access status to the property at nw-trail.org/rocky-terms
- Get an ID band for your bike. You will be able to pick these up at NWTA member meetings, Fat Tire Farm, Cyclepath, Metropolis, and Trek (Beaverton) (call to check availability).
Adults may sign a waiver to give access to a minor at the link listed above, but must also sign one for themselves, and the minor must be accompanied by the adult when accessing the property.
The trails out at Rocky Point are said to have originated as horse and moto trails. People have been riding bikes out at Rocky Point at least since the 1970s. It started on touring bikes mostly on gravel roads, but with a bit of venturing in on the singletrack. With the advent of mountain bikes in the 80s, folks started to make a more concerted effort to make the trails functional for bikes. The land was sold in 2016 to Weyerhaeuser. This effectively shut down access to most mountain bikers for several years. In 2019 NWTA and Weyerhaeuser entered into a lease agreement. That agreement allowed NWTA to manage access through its membership. Since then the trail system has been transformed with thousands of hours of trail building an maintenance in just the first six months of stewardship.
Suggested RP Intro Ride (use Trailforks for map)
North Side Loop
- Start at the mid gate parking lot
- Cross the road to RP United
- Take a right onto Andyland.
- RP United out to parking lot
South Side Loop
- Start at the mid gate parking lot
- Go down to Blue Gate
- Take a right onto Tres Amigos climb.
- Turn left on Pipeline, then head over to the Everblades. (Options over to Mulligan and Twisted Knickers).
- Return via gravel then back over using Tres Amigos to parking.
Rocky Point Events
No post found!